From AlertFox Website Monitoring
Why is web transaction monitoring so important?
Most website owners have had this experience: Your old-style website monitoring system shows nothing but green lights, yet the website is not functioning the way it should. Traditional web monitoring services do not dig deeply enough to detect glitches in the application code or database, or find that problems arise with bugs in Ajax, Flash or Silverlight front-end applets.
The solution: AlertFox is a revolutionary new self-service website transaction monitoring service (also called multi-step website monitoring) that is capable of keeping tabs on the function and performance of all websites - even those that use AJAX, Flash and Silverlight.
See our collection of Website Failures and how to avoid them with AlertFox!
Why use AlertFox?
AlertFox is the most powerful inside-the-browser Web performance monitoring system. It automatically builds testing macros by following your click streams. The resulting macros can test and monitor even the most complex websites, whether they make heavy use of AJAX (e. g. GMail, Google Docs), Flash (e.g., YouTube Video Player), Flex, Java or Silverlight. Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) have become the backbone of Web commerce and only AlertFox can test them all!
AlertFox uses the most popular web automation tool, iMacros, to give IT professionals, network administrators, developers and Web designers unprecedented insight into the performance of interactive Web pages and sites built with AJAX or RIA media. With its unique image recognition ability the AlertFox/iMacros technology thoroughly monitors all user interactions with AJAX and RIA media objects (Flash, Flex, Silverlight, etc.).
If you can see it, click it, drag it, drop it, move it, or resize it, iMacros can track it, record it, play it back, and monitor it!
Traditional Web transaction monitoring systems are passively "data-center focused" and blind to the actual user experience on the desktop. By contrast, AlertFox uses iMacros to run its test inside real web browsers and thus automatically monitors the true end-user experience.
Furthermore, AlertFox provides detailed reporting, data export and global monitoring zones to ensure that your site consistently performs and functions at peak levels.
AlertFox is the technology leader. Many essential website transaction monitoring tests are only available at AlertFox:
- Image recognition for RIA elements
- Monitoring in Internet Explorer and Firefox
- Monitoring file uploads
- Monitoring file downloads
- AJAX drag & drop testing
- Monitoring on Windows systems (the same systems most of your customers use)
If you don't have time to set up the monitoring sensors yourself, all our PRO packages contain our macro creation service at no additional cost.
Free Transaction Test Creation
Our AlertFox PRO3 plan includes free *initial* macro creation services. You can send us a description of the tasks you want to monitor (e.g., as a series of screenshots) and we will create the required transaction monitoring macro(s) for you and add them to your account. Of course, you can always edit and change the macros yourself within the web interface, so you have the best of both worlds: the ability to change things quickly yourself and full (and free) support when you need it.
In plain English, our requirements for this free service are as follows:
1. We need clear specifications on the steps we need to automate (the steps that AlertFox will monitor). Usually a sequence of annotated screenshots works very well. You can find some example specifications on this page.
2. Our support team needs to access your website from their their web browser without the use of additional software. With our free service we can not support special cases that require a VPN login or the installation of special security software. But please note that a normal website login is no problem at all.
3. We might outsource the macro creation to a freelancer. If we do so, we will notify you in advance. There will be no costs involved for you. The final quality assurance will always be done by the core AlertFox team.
4. The free macro creation program is intended to get you started with AlertFox. In addition, we offer one free revision per year, e. g. if the macro needs to be updated due to major website changes or if you want to monitor a different transaction sequence.
5. AlertFox/iMacros is very easy to use. Our experience tells us that our clients are soon able to make all standard changes themselves in no time. It is this ease of use that allows us to offer the free macro creation service in the first place.
6. Do you have special requirements? The AlertFox team also offers paid macro creation or website performance consulting services - remote or onsite.
Example Web Transaction Specification
Two example specifications from AlertFox PRO3 users:
End to end transaction monitoring: Product search, product selection, product configuration and checkout:
Flash Car Configurator
Buying a new car: Performance monitoring of a complex, Flash based car configuration applet:
- Download sample specification: Car Configurator (PDF, 2.3MB)
Specifications published with friendly permission of the respective authors.